We here at DeSumma and Wexler Jewelers have seen many changes in the jewelry industry over the years; however, one thing still remains true when it comes to buying a diamond. It is always best to deal with a reputable jeweler where you can visually compare diamonds side-by-side, and have a professional there with you to answer all of your questions and explain the differences to you.
The advent of the Internet has brought many advantages and disadvantages alike to both the consumer and the retail jeweler.
It is with this in mind that we offer these diamond buying tips to our customers:
- Always deal with a reputable jeweler that has credentials in gemology and diamond grading. It is surprising that in this day and age, there are many jewelry stores that have sales clerks selling diamonds with little or no knowledge or training on how to evaluate diamonds. Ask the person you are dealing with what their credentials are, and why should you place your trust in them and potentially invest thousands of dollars on a diamond with them. All of us at DeSumma and Wexler Jewelers are recipients of the GIA’s diamond grading certificates, so you can be assured that you are being aided by a jewelry professional that can answer all of your questions with conviction.
- The Internet is a helpful tool for gathering information, but not for buying diamonds. Go on any online diamond retailer’s website, plug in the details of what you are looking for and what happens? A list will come up, with many diamonds, all greatly ranging in price. How can that be if the diamonds all have the same weights and grades? There are many more variables than color and clarity and we can help explain them to you. When you can visually compare diamonds side-by-side, the differences can be very noticeable, even when they are comparable on paper.
(Click here for 4 c’s)
- A diamond grading report or certificate is a useful tool in helping the customer have an added measure of confidence in making his or her decision, but you should not base your decision solely on the basis of a certificate alone. We have all of our diamonds graded by independent grading laboratories such as the GIA and EGL for the consumer’s benefit. We have the knowledge to evaluate diamonds ourselves, but we have the grading reports done to offer the customer another opinion on the evaluation of the diamond. We don’t always agree with the reports that come back, and two grading laboratories can differ greatly, therefore, we will not offer the diamond at a grade that we don’t agree with.
- Always be sure to have a written guarantee that allows you to return or exchange your diamond purchase within a given amount of time. DeSumma and Wexler Jewelers offers a full 30 day money back guarantee on the quality as it is represented to you if you find that your diamond purchase is not as we represented it to be. (Click here for our guarantee)
- Take advantage of any financing options that may work in your favor. DeSumma and Wexler Jewelers offers up to 12 months financing interest free to qualified individuals. This will defer your payment without costing you anything, so there is no need to wait to make your purchase. (Click here for Wells Fargo)
- Do some research on the experience that others have had in dealing with jewelers and online retailers. DeSumma and Wexler Jewelers strives to provide a relaxed and friendly environment, along with having on hand a vast selection of loose diamonds and mountings for you to choose from. All of our staff members work together as a team and do not work on a commission basis to ensure that our best interest is in meeting your needs. Check out our reputation with the Better Business Bureau and online reviews, and see how others measure up to us.
At DeSumma and Wexler Jewelers we pride ourselves in not only offering our diamonds at the most competitive prices, but by also offering a full array of services after the sale, including but not limited to:
- Free cleaning and inspections of your diamond purchase for life
- Lifetime guarantee on the workmanship of your DeSumma and Wexler Jewelers engagement ring
- Free sizing and adjustment of your ring if needed after purchase
- Free polish and rhodium of your engagement ring before your wedding for that added sparkle!
- Custom engagement ring and wedding band design and fabrication at no additional cost (Click here to learn more about our custom CAD process)
- A discount on your wedding band purchase along with free ring engraving and a lifetime upgrade privilege on your center diamond
Try getting that type of service from your computer screen!